I was deeply upset to hear yesterday morning that
Charlotte Dawson had died.
She had committed suicide.
Charlotte was a champion for Mental Illness in Australia.
she had a true sense of humour,
she was brave
and was a very genuine person.
She was also loved
by truly brave and inspirational women.
Because she was ‘real’.
Plus she would poke fun at the fact that she had botox
– you gotta love her just for that!
At the time that I became aware of her death
– none of which mentioned the word ‘suicide’ –
I didn’t click on any of the online media links.
I knew from the tone of the titles/headings,
that she had committed suicide.
I had watched in horror in 2012,
when Charlotte was vilified via
She was trolled.
She was bullied.
She was attacked.
It was utter bullshit.
I HATE the way we treat strong beautiful women in our society.
Women attacking women.
Men attacking women.
As a society – we are PATHETIC !!!
If you have a friend or even an acquaintance who you know
through their own honesty and bravery,
suffers from or lives courageously with
a Mental Illness
DO THE FOLLOWING . .
- Send them a small card or note in the post
- Send them a photo of you both (smiling or whooping it up) via email or SMS
- Call them and if necessary just leave a message to say “Hi. Love you”
- Blog about their beautiful personality and strength
Here are some tributes to an amazing woman,
who should STILL BE WITH US !!!
* Mrs Woog speaks about her mate Charlotte
* Bec @ mamamia talks about how she came to really respect Charlotte, and,
how as a society we have let Charlotte down
* Channel Seven – with a real & proper conversation about depression (quite refreshing)
* Another Channel Seven weekend piece – a good discussion about bullying & depression
“She knew she was loved. She didn’t love herself enough”
Do you have a Mental Illness?
Do NOT feel like you are alone.
Contact someone who will listen to you right now . . .
Lifeline – Call 13 11 14 – (24 hour support via phone)
The Community Brave Foundation (online Bullying)
Beyond Blue – Call 1300 22 4636 or go online to ‘chat’
Black Dog Institute – find a Support Group that is YOU
I’m very sorry that you were not given the right ‘things’ that you needed to survive with depression.
I genuinely wish that you had.
The very reason that you killed yourself,
is the very reason I haven’t and won’t.
by surviving Depression,
I am in fact providing a real hope for someone else in the future.
I may not know what my ‘purpose’ is – yet,
but if I leave now,
then I never will.